The Hugh Chatham Memorial Hospital (HCMH) Foundation promotes and advances the well-being of our community. The Hugh Chatham Foundation has a special interest in providing financial support for community wellness activities and disease and injury prevention programs.
Your contribution to the Hugh Chatham Foundation can help HCMH meet construction needs and help provide state-of-the-art equipment that the hospital would not normally be able to acquire. The Foundation also ensures that health care is available locally for all area citizens.
Gifts to the Foundation, a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization, are tax-deductible. Gifts are distributed 100 percent to the program designated by the donor.
To Make a Contribution to the Foundation
Please mail checks payable to:
Hugh Chatham Memorial Hospital Foundation
P.O. Box 560
180 Parkwood Drive
Elkin, NC 28621
If you have questions about donations or any Foundation activities, please contact the Foundation office at 336-527-7457.
- Gambill Aldridge
- Frank Beals
- Debbie Brown
- Fred Chatham – Chairman
- Tony Cook
- Sam Couch – Board Representative
- Thomas Eidson
- Tom Flippin
- Paul Hammes – Chief Executive Officer
- Jim Harrell, Jr.
- Phyllis Harris – Treasurer
- Don Hudson – Vice Chairman
- Larry Irwin
- Molli Jo Johnson
- June Miller
- Frankie Pardue
- Al Sartain
- Matthew Schrum
- Eddie Settle
- Van Shore
- Jerry Sidden
- Teresa Smith
- Courtney Snyder – Secretary
- Murugananthan Subbiah
Ways to Donate
You can give to the Hugh Chatham Memorial Hospital (HCMH) Foundation and support its mission in the following ways:
- Make a cash gift
- Participate in Foundation projects
- Gift securities, land, buildings, personal property, or life insurance policies
- Name HCMH Foundation in your will or in a codicil to your existing will
- Create a charitable gift annuity or remainder trust
- Make memorial or remembrance gifts
- Make gifts to the annual giving campaign
- Give gifts-in-kind to the Foundation
- Give to the endowment
One of the easiest ways to support the Hugh Chatham Memorial Hospital (HCMH) Foundation is to include it in your will. If you already have a will, adding the Foundation is as simple as contacting your attorney. The following are suggested donations in your will:
- Securities (stocks, bonds, mutual funds)
- Life insurance policies
- Real estate (land, buildings)
- Personal property (vehicles, collections)
Family and friends are usually the first to be remembered in a will. After all the distributions have been made to loved ones, a provision can be made that the remainder of the estate be given to the HCMH Foundation. If you prefer, your will can stipulate that either a percentage of the estate or a fixed dollar amount be given to the Foundation.
A charitable tax donation to the HCMH Foundation may solve certain tax concerns encountered by those who have large estates.
How Can I Include the HCMH Foundation in my Will?
Below you will find recommended clauses for making an outright unrestricted bequest to the HCMH Foundation. The clauses, of course, are only examples. Be sure to consult your attorney for proper legal advice.
“To the Hugh Chatham Memorial Hospital Foundation, the sum of ______ dollars ($_______). This bequest is unrestricted and the Hugh Chatham Memorial Hospital Foundation Board of Directors may use and expend the same for the benefit of Hugh Chatham Memorial Hospital in any manner deemed appropriate.”
“To the Hugh Chatham Memorial Hospital Foundation, _________ percent (_______%) of my net residuary estate after the payment of all my debts and taxes. This bequest is unrestricted and the Board of Directors of the Hugh Chatham Memorial Hospital may use and expend the same for the benefit of Hugh Chatham Memorial Hospital in any manner deemed appropriate.”
Should you wish to restrict your bequest to the HCMH Foundation for a special purpose, contact us for examples of recommended wording.
At the Hugh Chatham Memorial Hospital BirthPlace, we’re privileged to celebrate the miracle of life each and every day, always with a welcome of tender, loving care. We would like to recommend an opportunity to celebrate your loved one by adding his or her name to our Garden of Miracles, a beautiful painting located in The BirthPlace. When you contribute $100 to the Hugh Chatham Memorial Hospital Foundation, your baby’s name and date of birth will be artfully painted among the mural’s cascade of flowers.
At the Regional Cancer Center at HCMH, we are privileged to celebrate the lives that are challenged daily by cancer. We offer you the opportunity to honor any life that has been touched with the challenge. When you contribute to the HCMH Foundation, the name of a patient, friend, physician, nurse, or caregiver will be placed on the Tree of Life wall.
The Foundation Department accepts your used cell phones, inkjet cartridges, DVDs, laptop/notebook computers, MP3 players and digital cameras – all manufacturers accepted! We recycle them for money that is reinvested into the Hospital Foundation. Items can be dropped off at the Foundation Office, Foundation Mailbox, or the Hospital Switchboard.
At Hugh Chatham Memorial Hospital, we’re taking healthcare beyond our walls by offering grants to organizations and scholarships for students in our community. We are in the process of updating our grants and scholarships. Check back often for updates.
The Hugh Chatham Memorial Hospital Foundation has created a Healthcare Scholarship Program. The program is an investment in our community which will recognize and provide financial support to individuals who want to further their education in a healthcare field.
The Healthcare Scholarship Program will address two important challenges:
- Advancing and retaining qualified health professionals for the hospital.
- Attracting and recruiting individuals pursuing a career as a health professional to live and work in the local area.
The Foundation has plans to raise $1 million to start an endowment. Since the scholarships will be funded by your individual or business donations, we offer for considerations giving to the Scholarship Fund in honor or in memory of a person, for training in a specific health care field or for a naming opportunity.
Specific donor wishes may be discussed with the Director of Foundation and Volunteers at 336-527-7457.
The HCMH Foundation Auxiliary’s purpose is to promote and enhance the goals and services of the hospital and its affiliates, and promoting it as a caring community health care leader. The Auxiliary also provides educational, financial and volunteer services.
The Auxiliary sponsors continuous projects such as the Prayer Shawl Program, Books for Babies, and Teddy Bears for Pediatric Patients.
Become an Auxiliary Volunteer
Auxiliary volunteers serve patients, families and visitors in the following areas:
- Gift shop/thrift shop
- Information desk
- Imaging and surgical services desks
- Emergency room
- Knitting (view knitting instructions)
- $5 Jewelry & Accessories Sale: This annual event benefits the hospital’s Volunteer and Auxiliary departments. Cash and credit accepted. Hugh Chatham employees may also pay by payroll deduction.
- Shoe Sale: Need stylish, comfortable shoes at great value prices? Don’t miss the hospital’s annual shoe fair presented by Shoes ‘N Stuff. A portion of proceeds benefit the hospital’s Volunteer and Auxiliary departments.
- Love Light Tree: Each Christmas, we will place a snowflake on Auxiliary Christmas tree in the HCMH main lobby for a donation of $5 or more. Snowflakes can be placed on the tree in memory or in honor of a loved one. Funds raised help support projects such as the Books for Babies program, bears for pediatric patients and yarn for the knitting program. Click here for donation form.
- Annual Auxiliary Awards Luncheon: Every April during National Volunteer Month, HCMH hosts a luncheon recognizing and acknowledging volunteers for the value and significance they bring to our patients and organization.
The Hugh Chatham Memorial Hospital (HCMH) Junior Volunteer Program gives young people the opportunity to explore careers in health care, as well as provide service to the hospital and its patients.
As a Junior Volunteer, you have much to offer, and the program provides the opportunity to learn new skills, develop new interests and make new friends. If you enjoy the satisfaction that comes from helping others, you will enjoy being part of the HCMH Junior Volunteer Program. Apply today!